Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bratislava Day 3










See you Soon.Some things are the same no matter where you go in the world: families, adults relaxing in a park, children playing in a park or trying to feed the birds, dandelions (I saw some today), relationships beginning and ending, birth, death. Some social issues are the same too. We see domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, homelessness, hunger in every country.

I took a picture of St. Michael's Tower which is so beautiful to me but on closer look....






I saw this homeless man in the archway. Later when I was walking across the bridge to Petrazalka I saw two more homeless men sitting under the freeway on the sidewalk in what looked like they were preparing for the night. Erie Chapman, the author of Radical Loving Care, advances the idea of the Good Samaritan and the idea in the story is the golden thread that is found in every great faith through history as well as the humanitarian tradition. He says that "love not only sits at the center of humanity but that love can be present in all people and all things." He also says that charitable work is sacred and that "without the guidance of love humanity is degraded to lower forms of living... and human life itself lacks meaning". Pretty heavy stuff, huh.?

Homeless people are in every country, around the world.

I did do some relaxing stuff today. I walked forever and soaked up with my eyes so much architecture, beauty and sense of history and awe. There is this feeling in my brain like I get when I am traveling I24 from Nashville to Chattanooga just past Monteagle Mountain and I see the mountains to the right. It always takes my breath away in Spring and Fall.




On a practical note, I have figured out how to stay cool in the Botel. I have taken out the entire window. American ingenuity. Much cooler. I have also started my own little travel guide for Women Travelers (who are not the jet-setting type if you know what I mean on a social workers salary). A few of them are: 1) always bring tennis shoes; 2) always bring your own paper products and 3) always pack extra clothes in your carry on.


I am going to have to find chocolate for the 5th graders at Brainerd Baptist School and since they want chocolate, I bet the 2nd graders will too. I've been told to buy German Chocolate - not Polish. We shall see. I also must buy tennis shoes. My feet are killing me and I continue to trip. I tripped again today but did not completely fall down. Good catch.


I will be going to Majak Nadeje ( Lighthouse of Hope) tomorrow. I have gifts from the Partnership and look forward to our time together tomorrow. I finished my PowerPoint today for my lecture. It is a motivational piece on activism. Surprised? The rest of the week will be busy. It is late.
Good night.

No comments: