Monday, April 26, 2010

Bratislava Day 2

Dasa









Day 2 Bratislava

Last night I went to dinner with Dasa (Dagmar), Paulko (her husband) and Samuel (our friend who visited Partnership from Duha). Dasa is the Director of the shelter and started it in 2006. Anyway, I fell down the stairs coming from my room to go and meet my friends. Luckily it was just the last stair, I did no serious harm, and I did not feel too unembarrassed. It's not like I will ever see any of the 7 or 8 strangers in the room who clearly did not speak English ever again. C'est la Vie. We walked to a nice restaurant and then up to the Castle (Hrad) Bratislava. There is a great deal of history in Bratislava.


The Castle was partially destroyed at one time by Napoleon Bonaparte and there are also remnants of a Roman Encampment also on the grounds of the castle. It has been repaired many times over many centuries going as far as the 9th century. Makes America seem very young by comparison. Okay,enough of the meager history lesson.


I must also tell you how much I miss my children, husband, cold drinks and ice. Europeans are not much for cold beverages and certainly not ice. I also know why you don't see huge percentages of obese persons in this part of the world as well. They walk everywhere or bike. Samuel bikes 10 miles to work every day. That's crazy I say. Common practice here.


Today I went to Duha and saw some of my colleagues from my previous visit. It was a good visit. they have hanging in the stair way the T-shirts from the T-Shirt project we did when I stayed in 2007. The children in the shelter do many types of wonderfully creative art which I hope to duplicate back home.


Their shelter has many of the same problems our shelter faces every day. They face funding cuts. Dasa told me if the government currently in power continues to cut social services like the Crisis Center they will close after next year. My very passionate opinion that I shared with Dasa and Samuel is that young people are not social activists. They don't vote based on my conversation with Samuel. If there is to be a future for domestic violence victims; rape victims; children who are abused; the homeless and others in need, the community (i.e. the young people) must become motivated to change the current climate of politics and not accept the status quo.


I only wish someone had talked to me about these issues when I was 2o. I wonder what I might have done with that power at such an early age. I see women like Dagmar and Eva Havelkova who believe in the rights of women and children and stand up for victims. I only wish there were an army of Dasa's and Eva's in Bratislava, making life safer for victims of domestic violence, human trafficking; child abuse; rape and other crimes. (Sorry I got on my soap box.)


I hope that things change here so Duha and the other centers can continue to make a difference the lives of women and children affected by domestic violence and homelessness. Much education is needed and Dasa does not have enough staff to do the daily operations of the shelter and outreach also. I know that story only too well. We suffer the same fate. Education is the key to prevention.


I feel so privileged to work and live in a country where I truly believe one voice can make a difference. We have to make our voices heard about violence against women and children. Men must take a stand against violence. While most individuals who abuse are men; most men are not abusers. Men can make the difference and help us change the world.









Well it is past my bed time. I have been to McDonalds for supper tonight and tomorrow have a free day. I will let you know how that turns out. Chow.

1 comment:

tjwesson said...

You fell down the stairs???? I can't believe that (NOT!). :)

Have a great time! I'll enjoy reading about your adventure.

Shannon