Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Introduction!

We all deserve dignity and agency in our own lives. We all deserve freedom from abuse and exploitation. These things go without saying (at least they should) but, sadly, this ideal doesn’t reflect many people’s daily realities. Thankfully there are groups like the Partnership for Families, Children and Adults in the world; it is the job of these amazing people to step in and help the helpless as well as try to affect the sorts of changes that keep people from needing help in the first place. An organization like the Partnership isn’t at its most effective unless it has the cooperation of the community it works in though, and people’s attention and awareness are some of their most potent resources.

That’s where I come in! My name is Travis, and I’m lucky enough to have snagged an internship with this amazing organization. When they told me they had a spot open for a writer I was more than a little surprised but apparently - contrary to what all my engineering friends have led me to believe - you can actually do something useful as an English major. In this case, I’ll be shining a spotlight on one of the Partnership’s programs every week so that you out there can appreciate the amazing work these people do every day. I’ve only been here for two weeks so far and I can already promise that you have no idea how much the Partnership actually does or how amazing it is.

Check back regularly though and you might start to get an idea!

1 comment: